Internal material models
Frank Richter
2012-02-28 15:11:13 UTC
Dear group,

according to the section on UMAT (and some other routines) in the "Abaqus User Subroutines Reference Manual", the term CMNAME within UMAT is defined as

"User-defined material name, left justified. Some internal material models are given names starting with the “ABQ_” character string. To avoid conflict, you should not use “ABQ_” as the leading string for CMNAME"

I am aware of precisely one "internal material model", but it appeared in recent releases only.

In the "SIMULIA Online Support System (SOSS)"
http://simulia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/abaqus.cfg/php/enduser/home.php
one can access the answer ID 1658 "UMAT and VUMAT routines for the elastic-plastic simulation of Nitinol".

It is stated: "the name parameter on *MATERIAL must start with ABQ_SUPER_ELASTIC."

Has anyone ever heard of other "internal material models" ?? Where can they be found ?

Thanks for sharing your expertise of obsure origin, presumably gained through dark channels.

Regards

Frank
Frank Richter
Institute of Materials Science
Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum
Bochum
Germany
Joshua Gorfain
2012-02-28 18:15:14 UTC
Frank,

I've used an internal VUMAT model for fabric reinforced composites called ABQ_PLY_FABRIC.  I found some documentaion on this model on the Abaqus knowledge base.

-Josh

________________________________

fcn_public
2012-02-29 13:40:15 UTC
Hi Frank,
Post by Frank Richter
I am aware of precisely one "internal material model", but it
appeared in recent releases only.
It is stated: "the name parameter on *MATERIAL must start with
ABQ_SUPER_ELASTIC."
Has anyone ever heard of other "internal material models" ?? Where can they be found ?
I don't know the current state of things, but the Nitinol material model (for shape-memory alloys, including the martensitic transition) was sold separately by Simulia, as an add-on to ABAQUS. I guess other such add-ons are classified as "internal" models, as well as custom developments (Simulia also provides such consulting services)

Not really an answer to your question, but rather to a possible list of such materials...

Fernando